Thursday, December 27, 2007

The First Day of Christmas


Christmas morning I was coming back from walking my dog Puma when I heard the familiar tic-tic-tic sound of a hummingbird. For those not from the Seattle area we actually have hummingbirds that overwinter here wherever there is food supplied. In this case it is my neighbor across the street who has the hummingbird feeder and lately I have noticed one bird that keeps a watchful eye on what he considers to be his personal food supply.

His appearance on a dreary winter day was a gift in itself, and I rushed to get my camera. The hummer was obliging enough, providing me with nice closeups and profile shots before swooping off for another go at the feeder. So, I started the first day of Christmas gifted not with a partridge in a pear tree, but rather a hummingbird in a bare tree!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rose,
This story and beautiful picture warmed my heart. It is, oh so you!
I can see you scrambling to get your camera to grab this shot.
Ken and I have two hummers that overwinter at "our feeder" and we are delighted with their fanciful appearance every single day!
jt